Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is a shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions. A partnership between BUFVC, Jisc and the BBC, it enables staff and students from subscribing institutions access to over 1m broadcast programmes from 60+ channels, including all BBC TV and radio content since 2007. No registration is necessary, simply log in with your Leeds username and password on or off campus. Key features include:
A searchable archive of broadcast content.
The ability to schedule recordings of forthcoming broadcasts – saved automatically to your ‘My BoB’ page for later viewing.
Searchable transcripts for all English language programmes, with the option of onscreen subtitling.
The facility to create VLE embeddable clips.
The facility to create and share playlists.
A One-click citation reference facility, enabling you to cite programmes quickly and easily.
August 2016 upgrade
On 1 August the new BoB will go live, with a fresh look, enhanced video quality and more powerful searching capabilities. Then from September BoB will deliver a whole host of improvements:
- A platform working across desktop, iOS and Android devices
- Media records based on our TRILT metadata, supporting more powerful searching capabilities
- Better programme coverage and a permanent archive of content from nine channels: BBC1 London / BBC2 / BBC4 / ITV London / Channel 4 / More4 / Channel 5 / BBC Radio 4 / BBC Radio 4 Extra
- Better thumbnail previews on search results
- Preview clips before saving
- Label your own clips
- Personalised email alerts when programmes are ready to view
- More detailed citation data
***Limited content and functionality during upgrade period***
Throughout August BoB will be working on upgrades and archive content and some functionality won’t be available during this period.
When the upgraded site goes live on 1 August you won’t be able to access your saved clips and playlists, but these will be accessible again in September. You may not be able to access some archive content broadcast before 1 July, too. There will be some programmes in the archive available before this date but not everything. Archive content and enhanced functionality will be restored in September, along with all the exciting new features. Apologies for any inconvenience caused during the upgrade period.